Join us in San Diego, California
for the 2018 World Conference,
May 29 – June 3.
Fiesta de las Bromelias
Planning for the 2018 conference is well underway. We have secured the fantastic bayside resort Paradise Point which is close to San Diego restaurants, parks, attractions and the airport. We hope that you will plan on joining us for an exciting bromeliad extravaganza. There are several bromeliad growers and nurseries within striking distance, and there are both public and private gardens to see.
San Diego shares a border with the Mexican state of Baja California. Our mild, dry Mediterranean climate means that xerophytic plants are particularly well-suited here. [Think Puya, Dykia, Hechtia and the many dry Tillandsias.] Yet within these limits, almost anything can be grown with regular irrigation under shade cloth!
In 2018 let’s have fun in San Diego!
San Diego, the eighth largest city in the USA, is often referred to as “America’s Finest City”. Known for its great climate, pristine beaches, friendly people and a plethora of entertainment options, San Diego is a favorite travel destination for visitors across the globe. Our city has a huge variety of horticultural attractions close to the conference venue, and the resort is set on 44 lushly landscape acres.
Balboa Park is located just minutes from downtown San Diego. Admittance is free to the Park grounds, Botanical Building, outdoor gardens, and some attractions. The San Diego Zoo is located inside the park. Most of the horticultural societies, meet in the park, and there are botanical oddities and interesting things to see at every turn. Other destinations close by include Torrey Pines State Park, La Jolla Cove and other free parks and beaches.
There are some great Southern California nurseries specializing in Tillandsias; maybe we’ll see their plants at the sale, alongside plants from other nurseries and local growers.
Your host committee has organized two exciting tours:
- Included in your registration fee is a half-day afternoon tour in central San Diego. We’ll visit two members’ gardens in the historic neighborhood of Mission Hills, and there will be a stop in Balboa Park to see the world-famous Botanical Building, built for the Panama–California Exposition of 1915.
- We have an exciting Optional Bus Excursion up to see two fantastic member gardens, followed by a visit to the San Diego Botanic Gardens where we’ll have an Alfresco dinner together. We will see two fantastic North-County gardens with incredible bromeliad collections. The price for this optional excursion is only $60.00, including transportation on a luxury tour bus. Go to the Optional Bus Excursion tab to sign-up.
Stay tuned as the 2018 World Bromeliad Conference gets closer. Check the San Diego Bromeliad Society Facebook page for updates and for information on the launch of our new website. The host affiliate, the San Diego Bromeliad Society, is soliciting help from its BSI friends to make it a successful event. Go to the SDBS web page, San Diego Bromeliad Society website for details on how you can participate.
• All registrations $290.00.
If you are not a current BSI member, your annual membership fee must be paid, in
addition to, the above Conference registration fee as follows:
• USA residents add $45 single and $60 dual membership (add $5 for 1st class delivery)
• Other countries add $50 single and $65 dual membership (includes airmail delivery)